Steve Chazin stays connected with all things Apple and is available for press interviews and speaking engagements to share his expertise in viral, web and new media marketing techniques perfected by Apple. Steve shares more than a name with Steve Jobs: he is a passionate advocate of consumer technology and enjoys commenting on Apple's products, marketing, rumors and announcements. Steve can be reached at steve@MarketingApple.com or via his iPhone at 603.930.2490
Steve has released two free, short eBooks on Apple and is actively pursuing a publisher for a more detailed, tell-all type book. Contact him if you are an interested publisher.
More on Steve
Steve has more than 25 years experience in marketing, sales, engineering and design of creative technology for consumers and professionals:
- A unique individual: equal parts marketer, engineer, salesperson, strategist and showman;
- More than 25 years of excellence in marketing, sales, engineering and design of creative tech to change the world;
- Experience in startups and large enterprises creating world-class products for both consumers and businesses;
- Rehired by Steve Jobs to help return Apple to profitability and crafted some marketing secrets used by Apple today;
- Built new defensive missile technology that saved countless soldiers’ lives in the Gulf War;
- Saved Avid from bankruptcy by out-marketing Apple while building video sharing site that predated YouTube;
- Pioneered web services and internet portals at Bowstreet later sold to IBM;
- Converted failing enterprise software solution into consumer file sharing later popularized by Dropbox;
- Captured 7+ million web conferencing users resulting in Dimdim's acquisition by Salesforce and LogMeIn’s Join.me;
- Delivered new Cloud/SaaS file share & storage solutions as VP/GM NortonCloud at Symantec;
- Reimagining WebEx meetings, Jabber messaging, and Spark Team Communications for mobile, social, SaaS world.
Still More on Steve
Cisco, Milpitas, CA 2013 - Present
Vice President, Cloud Collaboration Products and Online
- Drove team of 500+ Product Managers, Marketers, UX, CS, Support, Sales, Biz Dev, eCommerce and Online to dramatically improve and relaunch all WebEx and Jabber products; built new desktop, mobile, and Apple Watch apps; increased awareness and market share; doubled Jabber seat count to beat Microsoft Lync in enterprises worldwide.
- Delivered 24%+ YoY growth across all meaningful KPIs including: customer satisfaction, new users, # of meetings, attendees, meeting minutes, revenue and bookings, making WebEx the fastest growing $1.2B SaaS cloud in the world.
- Revitalized online lead gen for Inside Sales: acquired 1M new WebEx users and converted 50K new SMBs customers which lead to 20%+ sales growth and $53M iARR (incremental annual recurring revenue) equaling $175M+ lifetime rev.
- Launched Cisco Spark, a new Slack-like team collab product to meet the needs of employees who download apps expecting delightful consumer-like experiences that just work at work. Unique for Cisco, Spark is free, yet manageable by IT and built via a startup-like culture (dev ops, continuous delivery, analytics-led) in a hip San Francisco office.
- Restructured all product teams; rejuvenated customer success and customer experiences; redesigned WebEx.com; launched map.webex.com to boast growth; built help.webex.com self-help site; and launched WebEx for Students.
Symantec, Mountain View, CA 2012 – 2013
Vice President and General Manager, NortonCloud
- Aggressively recruited from Salesforce to help transform Norton and Symantec into a cloud and SaaS company.
- General Manager for Norton Data Services, provider of one of the world’s largest backup and storage businesses: Norton Online Backup and Norton 360 Backup. This $40M+ business unit delivered 70% gross margins and 35% YoY bookings growth under my leadership while winning awards for user experience, reliability and performance.
- Motivated team of nearly 300 Marketing, Cloud Services, Data Center Ops, Product Development, User Experience, Program Management, Product Management, Sales, Business Development and Product Strategy employees.
- Launched first organic, cross-BU SaaS product - Norton Zone - to securely sync & share content at work and home.
Salesforce.com, San Francisco, CA 2011 – 2012
Vice President, Product Management
- Responsible for bringing real-time voice, video, file and screen sharing to Salesforce & Chatter, transforming the company from a database provider to a leader in contextual, secure enterprise social collaboration and beyond.
- Designed and built Chatter Messenger as integrated HTML5 messaging app inside SFDC web, desktop & mobile apps
- General manager for Chatter Now, the company’s umbrella brand for cloud-based, contextual, secure real-time collaboration and marketing tools that connect every Salesforce cloud.
Dimdim, Lowell, MA 2007 – 2011
Chief Product Officer & Chief Marketing Officer
- Owned all brand, corporate and product marketing, product management and user experience while overachieving closed-loop lead gen, demand creation, PR and sales goals.
- Chief product designer, accountable for product specs, market requirements and customer experience.
- Acquired 7M free and paying users while executing simultaneous Enterprise, Partner & Freemium business models.
- Designed eCommerce and marketing engine that generated $5M+ annualized revenue in less than two years.
- Built product and marketing partnerships with Dell, Google, Intuit, Novell, Amazon, Nortel (Genband) and others.
- Invented agile marketing-in-the-cloud to manage team of over 20 across 5 time zones and inside the product itself.
- Won leadership and usability awards from Time.com, AlwaysOn, Webby, InfoWorld, WebWare100, RWW, PCMag, PCWorld, designed all website content and graphics culminating in 2009 WebAward
MarketingApple.com, San Jose, CA 2007 – Present
Owner, Chief Blogger, Keynote and Motivational Speaker
- Built a popular blog, MarketingApple.com to share marketing approaches perfected by Apple.
- Wrote, published and distributed two eBooks on Apple’s Retail & Marketing secrets downloaded by 2 million people.
- Speaker at worldwide events, TV and movies as Apple marketing guru, motivational speaker & user experience expert.
- Maintained #1 search rank on Google for the phrase “Apple Marketing” - often outranking even Apple, Inc. itself.
Adesso Systems / Tubes Networks, Boston, MA 2006 – 2007
Vice President, Products & Chief Marketing Officer
- Relaunched Adesso Systems (a former 4 year old enterprise firm) as a new consumer brand; conceived and launched consumer file sharing product “Tubes”; overachieved awareness goals with same quarter monetization.
- Built agile marketing team which achieved 10 times industry averages for all programs and over 5% CTR and above 15% CTA/download rate. Achieved or exceeded all expectations for growth of user base; responsible for business development and monetization, Internet advertising, owned all positioning and product management.
- Achieved publicity via AP, G4TV, ScobleShow, PCMag Site of Week, Slashdot, StumbleUpon, Digg.com, ABCNews
- Obtained coveted spot at DEMO 2007 and positive review by Walter Mossberg in the Wall Street Journal.
Avid, Burlington, MA 2002 – 2006
Senior Director, Enterprise Sales & Product Marketing
- Defined Avid’s worldwide market strategy; grew revenue over 200% while expanding new seats more than 350% in 2 years, coordinated worldwide sales and product marketing organizations. Stock went from $9.5 to $65 in 28 months
- Headed Avid’s $14M worldwide Education P&L; achieved 125% revenue and 650% unit growth while increasing ASPs, initiated direct marketing to consumers & established customer summits. Managed $3.5M budget that overachieved revenue growth goals. Grew user groups from 8 to 55; turned dissatisfied customers into evangelists.
- Responsible for worldwide product marketing of Avid’s entire post-production video and film editing product and solutions portfolio; defined strategy, tactics, and go-to-market implementation. Drove product family launch resulting in surprise revenue growth while beating Apple’s Final Cut Pro.
Bowstreet, Portsmouth, NH 1999 – 2002
Senior Director, Product Management & Product Marketing
- Built Bowstreet’s Worldwide Marketing org; elevated Bowstreet’s brand awareness – obtained top rightmost spot on Gartner’s Web Services Magic Quadrant vs. Microsoft, BEA, Sun & IBM. (IBM acquired Bowstreet in 2005.)
- Owned all aspects of brand management, trade & press relations, customer & partner relations, employee relations, international marketing, speaking opportunities & tradeshow activities
- Built and led Bowstreet's Product Marketing group: established pricing, positioning product and business roadmap strategy; defined product and market requirements; supported worldwide sales force. Created marketing strategy and go-to-market campaigns for all products and services.
- Chief technology evangelist drove Bowstreet messages throughout industry. Helped raise $140M VC. Primary Bowstreet spokesperson for industry associations, seminars, conferences, and webinars. Built relationships with industry organizations, analysts, financial analysts & trade press. Drove Bowstreet leadership in UDDI, DSML and XAML, RosettaNet, ebXML Acord, WAP, OASIS, W3C, S2ML
Apple, Cupertino, CA 1991 – 1999
Senior Director, Marketing & Account Executive/Systems Engineer
- Rehired by Steve Jobs to build and manage Apple's Education Marketing, including advertising, brand, bizdev, events & trade shows, interactive marketing, research, marcom, product management, and strategic marketing.
- Responsible for over 220% revenue and over 360% unit growth in $35 million New England sales territory while performing dual roles of account executive & systems engineer in territory.
- Apple’s #1 Account Executive of the Year 2 years in a row in same territory.
- Created Apple University Consortium (AUC) executive advisory board to provide product feedback to Steve Jobs ensuring Apple’s products exceed the needs of the education market. Established partnerships with AUC CIOs resulting in increased sales in Apple’s largest, most influential accounts.
- Delivered Apple marketing to over 18,000 customers via onsite presentations, keynotes, seminars & workshops. Represented Apple with trade associations, EDUCAUSE, Internet2, & League for Innovation
- Managed strategic partnership between Apple and Harvard Business School resulting in standardization on Mac platform and $9 million incremental sales. Managed $2 million development 25 multimedia products that became part of the HBS curriculum including the world’s first multimedia CD-ROM with digital video.
Raytheon Company, Tewksbury, MA 1986 – 1991
Senior Development Engineer & Section Manager; Radomes
- Managed 13 engineers in the design and fabrication of supersonic missile radar domes (radomes) some used in PATRIOT defensive shield used to protect soilders’ lives during the gulf war.
- Managed $8 million multi-person software development effort to perform real-time ray tracing within electrodynamic boresight error in missile radomes leading to multiple patents.
- Founded 300+ member user’s group and created employee computer purchase program generating $3M+ in sales.
- Earned the distinction of becoming the youngest section manager in Raytheon’s history.
Princeton University - Master of Science; Electrical Engineering
- Sponsored by Raytheon on full Miccioli Scholarship; graduated Cum Laude in 9 months.
Franklin and Marshall College - Bachelor of Arts; Physics
- Magna Cum Laude & Phi Beta Kappa: 4.0 average in Major; Ranked 7th in class of 465 students.
- Recipient of The Frank Durrell Enck Memorial Prize in Physics, the Charles A. Dana Foundation Scholarship (full ride), Member Sigma Pi Sigma Physics Honor Society, Founder SEMCO Society, member of Varsity basketball team
Still reading? Congrats - you are the first person to read this far. eMail me with subject "secret" and I'll send you another Apple secret.